We always drool over the recipes by Sonya – who runs food photography and blog account @worldofhungerlust. We’re delighted to share one of her recipes – Buttermilk brined herby, lemon, garlic chicken with baby potatoes and garlic scapes! It suits our chicken supremes perfectly.
Garlic scapes grow directly from the bulb in garlic, and are such an underutilised ingredient in the U.K – we love seeing it featured, while also featuring a local Scottish company Really Garlicky to get this ingredient from.
1-1.5 Kg Bone in Chicken thighs ⠀
2 Cups Buttermilk ⠀
2 Tablespoons kosher salt ⠀
Marinate chicken, salt and buttermilk together for at least an hour or overnight.
The topping is pretty much an extra herby gremolata. Here’s the ingredients:
1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped⠀
1 bunch of basil, finely chopped⠀
10 or so fresh thyme sprigs with leaves pulled off ⠀
3-4 garlic cloves, finely minced⠀
Zest of one lemon ⠀
Juice of 1 or 2 lemons ⠀
3/4 cup olive oil⠀
kosher salt and black pepper to season ⠀
You can blitz this together in a food processor or mix it up by hand. Taste and adjust salt and lemon juice. ⠀
500g Baby potato, sliced in half lengthwise
Garlic Bulbs, top removed ⠀
Lemons, cut in half⠀
A good handful of Garlic Scapes
1. Preheat oven to 220c⠀
2. Take chicken out of the marinade and try to get any excess buttermilk off. ⠀
3. Place chicken on a parchment-lined tray and generously spoon over some of the gremolata onto each piece, reserving some for the potato and scapes later.
4. Add whole garlic bulbs, cloves and cut lemons to the tray. ⠀
5. Place the tray into the preheated oven till the juices run clear and temp hits 160c. For my oven it was about 30 min. (I’ll come back to internal temp in a minute)
6. Toss potato with some of reserved gremolata ⠀
7. 10 minutes into cook time turn the oven down to 200c. Take the chicken out of the oven -do this so you don't lose the heat, scatter potatoes onto the tray with chicken, give the chicken a baste with all the pan juices and place back into the oven. ⠀
8. Finally, about 20 mins into cooking time toss the Garlic scapes with some of the gremolata and scatter around the chicken and potatoes and place back into oven. ⠀
9. Once the internal temperature of the chicken hits 160c pull it out of the oven and cover immediately with foil and let the chicken rest around 15 min. The chicken will continue to cook and will reach 165c within that time.
10. Serve with more fresh herbs and squeeze the roasted lemon over top everything and enjoy.
Make sure to have a look through more of her beautiful photographs and recipes here.
For our chicken supremes, click here
DISCOVER OUR OTHER Articles
- 08.09.2023 NewsRead More
John Gilmour Butchers from East Lothian were named winners of the Best Scotch Brand Product of the Year category as food and drink businesses from across the country came together at the Scotland Food...
- 07.09.2023 NewsRead More
The time is finally here!
John Gilmour Butchers steaks are on their way to the World Steak Challenge.